Portland Community College is accepting applications to be considered for Part-Time and On-Call Reference Librarians for the Cascade, Rock Creek, Southeast, and Sylvania Campuses. The Department will review applications in this pool as the need arises for new part-time faculty in this area.
This is NOT an announcement of a specific open position, but a Part-time Faculty Interest Pool, from which the department will identify applicants based on course assignment needs during the 2022-23 Academic Year. Your application may be considered for substitute assignments as well as full term class assignments.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play at PCC, please complete your application today to be considered.
Under the supervision of the library dean, part-time reference librarian will assist students in using the tools of research, provide expertise and assistance in answering reference questions, staff the research help desk, including phone, email, chat, and teach information literacy classes, with guidance from the department chair.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a library or office environment, with frequent interruptions. Frequent reaching, sitting, walking, and standing may be required. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials is needed to perform the job. Flexibility in scheduling, must be able to work evening, weekend and short-notice substitute hours.
- A Masters of Library Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited library school or foreign equivalent
- One year of teaching experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and utilization of culturally-responsive teaching and learning practices
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as a member of a team with the goal of excellent customer service.
- Provide direct research and reference assistance to the college community.
- Teach library instruction and information literacy classes to individuals and groups.
- Participate in the creation of instructional materials and research guides.
- Contribute to ongoing work on special projects within the Reference department in coordination with the department chair.
See the PCC Instructor Qualifications webpage for more information.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs. Benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
Part-time faculty health insurance eligibility is based on workload during the previous academic year. Once eligible, available insurance plans include Health, Dental, and Vision options, as well as Long-term Care.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. Part-time faculty may be eligible for PERS/OPSRP if they meet the requirement of six months of employment and are working 600 hours or more per year. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
- 2 hours sick leave per pay period, up to 32 hours per year; a maximum of 8 hours of accrued sick leave per academic year may be used for personal reasons.
View a complete list of PCC benefits.