Are you passionate about undergraduate education? Consider this opportunity to combine your biology expertise with your interest in teaching by joining a community of science educators at Portland Community College.
We are looking for outstanding candidates for a full time Biology faculty position that starts in Fall Term 2019. The assignment will be the Rock Creek Campus, a beautiful, 260 acre campus near the western edge of the Portland metro area, in the growing Beaverton-Hillsboro region. Over a third of the campus acreage is preserved in an Environmental Studies Center which is frequently used as an outdoor learning lab. The campus is also home to a solar array, a large Learning Garden, and a fully functioning farm with sheep, rabbits, llamas and cows. PCC Rock Creek served nearly 22,000 students in the 2017-18 academic year.
PCC Rock Creek’s Science and Technology Division is home to an innovative and dynamic community of science educators in the natural and physical sciences and in science-related industry-focused technician programs in Bioscience Technology, Veterinary Technology, and Microelectronics Technology. The successful applicant for this position will teach biology courses for science majors, non-majors, allied health and veterinary technology students, as well as specialized courses in 100-level Human Anatomy and Physiology OR Environmental or Organismal Biology.
See the Instructor Qualifications page for additional information: https://www.pcc.edu/resources/academic/instructor-qualifications/bi.html
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
In the cover letter, please clearly address your experience with the following qualifications.
- Significant college-level teaching experience (at least three years)
- Demonstrated commitment to understanding and effectively addressing the challenges faced by community college students
- At least 3 years (9 quarters or 6 semesters) teaching general biology (for majors or non-majors)
- At least 2 years (6 quarters or 4 semesters) of teaching experience in either Human Anatomy and Physiology (introductory level) -or- Environmental/Organismal Biology
- Demonstrated collaborative approach to curriculum development
- Knowledge of student-centered teaching methodologies
- Evidence of cultural competency and understanding of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion for student success.
- Experience involving undergraduate students in appropriate applied undergraduate research experiences and/or fieldwork
- Small-grant management and/or procurement experience at a teaching-focused institution
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and dependent children under 24 years of age; plus partial tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
*Please note: Temporary Full-Time Faculty are not eligible for Personal Leave Days, Life Insurance, Long-term Disability, or AD&D Insurance.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
View a complete list of PCC benefits.