Portland Community College is accepting applications for a Full-Time Instructor in the field of Women’s and Gender Studies - starting in the Fall 2019 Academic Term. In this interdisciplinary field, we are looking for an instructor who has strong current content knowledge, and is engaged with the changing nature of women’s and gender studies. PCC is committed to equitable student success, and will ask applicants to demonstrate their ability to effectively engage students and respond to their learning needs.
There is much potential for this new Instructor to grow the Women’s and Gender Studies program and to share their knowledge and expertise with the College’s student support community.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be part of, please review the Instructor Qualifications for this position and apply today!
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline:
- December 14, 2018 - Applications due
- Week of December 17, 2018 – Supplemental Questions Sent (Responses Due by January 7, 2019)
- Initial Interviews (video) – First week of February 2019
- Finalists Interviews / Teaching Demonstrations (On-Campus) – Mid-February to Early March, 2019
- Offer Extended – By April 1, 2019
See the classification description for additional information: https://www.pcc.edu/resources/academic/instructor-qualifications/ws.html
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage all students, and strong commitment to equitable student success
- Strong current knowledge of women’s and gender studies, and relevant theoretical frameworks (for example, Critical Theory, social justice, Critical Race Theory), as well as demonstrated engagement with, and awareness of, the changing nature of the field
- Culturally responsive teaching and learning practices, demonstrating 1) an understanding of and effective use of strategies and 2) the ability to show flexibility and responsiveness to meet the needs of students
- Demonstrated success integrating knowledge of this field into the campus community to advance the program and to further the support of students and student services (or in a comparable non-academic environment)
- Willingness to teach online courses
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
- Master’s degree or PhD in Women’s Studies, Feminist Studies, or Gender Studies, OR
- Master’s degree in any field AND 30 quarter hours of graduate credit in Women’s Studies, OR
- Master’s degree in any field AND 1-15 quarter hours of graduate credit in women’s studies PLUS experience as lead instructor for at least 4 introductory college-level Women’s Studies courses, OR
- Master’s degree in any field AND 15-30 quarter hours of graduate credit in Women’s Studies PLUS experience as lead instructor for at least 2 introductory college-level Women’s Studies courses.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and dependent children under 24 years of age; plus partial tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
View a complete list of PCC benefits.